You can find a gazillion social media sharing plugins for WordPress. Unfortunately not all of them work very well with WooCommerce. Some of them don't work at all, others put the icons in the wrong part of the page, or they put them on the page multiple times. As a store owner this can be a bit frustrating. Luckily one of my favorite plugins, Jetpack, has some pretty great social media sharing built it and with a little tweak we can make it look beautiful on product pages.
The first step is adding Jetpack and turning on social sharing
- In your WordPress admin add the Jetpack by Automattic plugin to your site
- Hover over the newly created Jetpack icon and click on Settings
- You should see a big list of services available through the Jetpack plugin. You want to activate the Sharing service. Feel free to leave the rest as they are.
- After activating the service hover over it and press the Configure link
- Drag the services you want displayed on your site from Available Services to Enabled Services
- Under the Show buttons on setting make sure you enable Products. I also like the sharing button on my blog posts so I'm going to check Posts as well.
- Press the Save Changes button
At this point Jetpack will look beautiful on your posts and it will appear kind of awkwardly at the very bottom of the product page.
We can make this better. With a bit of code we can remove them from the bottom of the product page and move them up. You can add the following code to bottom of your theme's functions.php file or in a custom plugin.
Save that file, upload it, and take a look at the results. The sharing icons are in the middle of the page right beneath the product's short description. Now anyone can view the products and share it if they so choose.
Update 2015/06/09: Video Walkthrough
Webucator made this great step by step video. Thanks for porting this to a new medium for people who prefer video to text. 🙂
Photo credit: Giphy