- Blogging for Hippo
- Schedule Sales with WooCommerce
- The Problem with Focus
- Give Thanks
- Be Thankful for the People Who Inspire You
- Give Yourself Space
- Build Resources From Support
- How Hard Can Membership Be?
- Adding Social Media Icons to WooCommerce Product Pages
- How to Export WooCommerce Subscriptions
- Upgrade Your Contact Form With Ninja Forms
- Why I Write
- Blog Comments Policy
- Content Marketing Works – Even with Furnace Filters
- Making Email from Your Website More Reliable with Email Delivery Tools
- A Happiness Podcast?
- Podcast Compensation
- Wishlists Done Right
- Enable Free Shipping on a Per Product Basis
- Improve Your Writing with the Hemingway Editor
- Tell Users What You're Doing
- 2014 Business Review
- Mind Your Own Business
- Think Different to 10x Your Business
- Let Projects Die
- Maximize Your Creative Energy
- Use Git Bisect to Find Bugs in Your Codebase
- My Personal Value of Remote Work
- Don't Spam Email Receipts
- Make Your Own Luck
- Cold Showers and the Power of Challenges
It's the day after Thanksgiving but I haven't quite finished thanking people yet. Yesterday I talked quite a bit about the awesome financial base my parents provided me today I want to focus on the people that inspire me. It took an army of people to get me fired up about life and simply put: without these people I wouldn't be where I am now.
People Who Inspire Me
Eric Lightbody – Eric was the full time developer at my college and he spent an enormous part of his day mentoring me and advising me on which things were the most value to know and the best resources to learn about them. I remember several hour long conversations we had talking about web development and the best practices and all of this was hugely helpful.
Chris Schmitz – After finishing up college I wanted to continue learning and improving my skills so I joined the Web 920 meetup group and met Chris. Both of us were very green and even though we both knew very little we shared what we did know with each other and learned a ton.
Elliot Christienson – Elliot is one of the organizers for the Web 920 meetup group and is so inspiring. He placed a lot of confidence in me and encouraged me to share what I knew at the group. A little nudging from him got me out of my shell.
Getting out of the Gates
These people were the people that got me out of the gates. I met so many inspirational people after that but these five got it all started. I spent the last 9 years in Green Bay Wisconsin, not exactly the most tech friendly place, and with the help from these people accomplished some things I'm really proud of.
If you're just getting into web development find people that can mentor you. People that have already traveled through the course and are willing to lend a helping hand. If you've already been in the industry for a few years you don't even know how much information you have to share. Get out there and help people whenever you can. It could be online, a meetup group, at a WordCamp, or wherever. Just get out there and help someone get started because that's the most difficult part of all.
Photo credit: Giphy