- Blogging for Hippo
- Schedule Sales with WooCommerce
- The Problem with Focus
- Give Thanks
- Be Thankful for the People Who Inspire You
- Give Yourself Space
- Build Resources From Support
- How Hard Can Membership Be?
- Adding Social Media Icons to WooCommerce Product Pages
- How to Export WooCommerce Subscriptions
- Upgrade Your Contact Form With Ninja Forms
- Why I Write
- Blog Comments Policy
- Content Marketing Works – Even with Furnace Filters
- Making Email from Your Website More Reliable with Email Delivery Tools
- A Happiness Podcast?
- Podcast Compensation
- Wishlists Done Right
- Enable Free Shipping on a Per Product Basis
- Improve Your Writing with the Hemingway Editor
- Tell Users What You're Doing
- 2014 Business Review
- Mind Your Own Business
- Think Different to 10x Your Business
- Let Projects Die
- Maximize Your Creative Energy
- Use Git Bisect to Find Bugs in Your Codebase
- My Personal Value of Remote Work
- Don't Spam Email Receipts
- Make Your Own Luck
- Cold Showers and the Power of Challenges
Today I'm doing something a bit different. I'm writing this post in actual WordPress editor. Why is that different? Because earlier this month I switched to the Hemingway editor to help me improve my writing. I write in Hemingway, Hemingway lists suggestions, I make a few changes and then copy it into WordPress. It's an extra step but the suggestions are so useful and I've already learned how I tend to write and the types of things I have to watch out for.
The first thing that I noticed about my writing is that I use a lot adverbs. And while adverbs are good for story telling they can also be filler words that don't add value. You don't need to use very good, really good, or amazingly good you can use just good. And if something is truly amazingly good then just call it amazing.
Why Not Write In Hemingway?
The reason I'm not writing in Hemingway today is because I'm trying to write this whole post without thinking about the app. I want to show you what my writing normally looks like. Then I want to show you what the blog post will look like with the changes. The differences are subtle. A word here. A word there. But when you're reading everything feels like it belongs. There aren't any rough edges. Your eyes can flow from one word to the next.
I may not be the next Shakespeare but I can spend a few minutes getting rid of the debris.
Care About Your Writing
One of the most important skills you can learn is how to write. It's not about writing it's about clearly communicating ideas. It doesn't matter what job you have you need to be able to communicate clearly and effectively. I've learned a lot of skills over the past few years and many of them won't last more than five years. Spend some time and learn how to speak to people. You can take it with you to any job, any position, doing just about anything.
Image credit: Giphy
Link – http://www.hemingwayapp.com/ 🙂
Oh man can’t believe I forgot that! Thanks I added it to the post. 🙂
Wow, I can’t believe I never heard of this editor before. This is really great. I have a tendency to make overly complicated sentences in English, this should definitely help me 🙂
Thanks a lot Patrick