- Blogging for Benjamin Competition
- Why I'm Grateful to Work on the Web
- 24 Pull Requests
- Update Downloadable Product's Expiration Date in WooCommere
- Get Lost in the Flow and Work for More Than a Salary
- Why A Plugin's Popularity Matters
- Why You Should (Or Shouldn't) Use Premium Plugins
- WooCommerce Terms & Conditions
- Only Ship to Continental United States with WooCommerce
- Just Talk
- Why I Love Jetpack
- Making Jetpack Better
- Remove Billing Address for Free Virtual Orders in WooCommerce
- Notify Admin of Customer Address Change in WooCommerce
- Open Your Self Up To New Possibilities
- 2013 Resolutions Review
- Create a Community
- Tips for Starting a Community
- The Intent of Goals
- Create The Ultimate Invoicing System Using WooCommerce
- Change From Address in Ninja Forms
- Work With People Who Inspire You
- Contact Form 7 & MailPoet Integration
- Giving Back to The Community
- Adding Fuctionality to Lean Plugins
- Choose Stripe For a Payment Gateway
- A Dip Into Entrepreneurship
- Reward Yourself
- Blogging for Benjamin Plugin
- Blogging for Benjamin Wrap Up
All of us have met one of those people that complains about everything. They're no fun to be around. Even if I'm chipper and excited about the day I'll be drained after talking with them for just a few minutes. I don't know about you but I have no desire to spend time with people who bring me down. I want to be around people that inspire me and encourage me to more! I get energized by meeting people who are passionate, people who do instead talk, and people who are unapologetically themselves.
Inspiration at WooThemes
This is actually one of the great things about working for WooThemes. We aren't just developers that punch in at 8am and punch out at 5pm. All of us really care about our product and customers.
Walking the Walk
One of the qualities that I really value is having the courage and drive to walk the walk instead of just talk the talk. It's really easy to say “I can make a better theme than WooThemes” but once you get into the nitty gritty can you push past all of the criticism and do it? Often times there's additional hurdles that you discover mid way through the race. Not everything is perfectly clear in the beginning.
Closing the Deal
Similar to walking the walk is the ability to see things through to completion. But it's not just doing it's completing. I think the difference here is that there are some people who will put all other unnecessary things aside until they figure out a problem. So instead of working on 30 different projects they'll have a primary project and they will make this project pristine in both documentation, organization, planning, and implementation.
I can think of no one else other than Brent Shepherd. He's one of our extension developers for WooCommerce. He made the insanely popular Subscriptions extension for WooCommerce and even though it's one of the most complex products we carry I don't mind a little extra digging if I can work with someone who's willing to go all the way to fix a problem. If you don't think he does a lot of work maintaining this project checkout the 60 question FAQ or the other dozen documents he's released for this one product.
One of the things that often gets overlooked in any sort of professional setting are basic communication skills. In a remote team this skill is even more important. And while communication is a very important skill I want to look a little deeper. Specifically I like to work with people who are good with feedback. It doesn't even matter what the feedback is, whether it be good or bad, it just matter that it's there. That I'm a human being and you're acknowledging me.
One of the best examples of this is Michael Krapf. He leads the support team at WooThemes and he does an incredible job keeping things together. He might not be able to solve a problem in my code but he can communicate with me and point me to someone who can which is just as important or more important.
I absolutely love working with everyone at WooThemes and I think everyone on the team is inspiring in their own way. Because I'm running with such high performing individuals I want to perform just as well and I think we all inspire each other to do amazing work. When you think about WooThemes sells a ridiculous amount of product and has an incredible reputation for a team of 30.